Welcome to the River Duff
Paddy Gumley bags the first fish of 2015
Well done to Paddy Gumley on catching the first salmon of 2015.
The fish was caught on Thursday 23rd April at the Falls pool, weighing in at 10lbs.
Incidentally Paddy also caught the first fish of 2011, on the same date, at approximately the same time.
It's great to have another season underway. Tight lines for 2015.
The River Duff, or Bunduff, is a prolific little salmon river situated 4 miles from Bundoran. It flows for 14 miles from the Glenade valley in to Donegal Bay, just north of Mullaghmore. The bottom 3 1/2 miles provides some great salmon fishing, with a good run of Summer salmon and grilse.
The fish start to enter the river at the beginning of April, with the peak of the salmon run coming in July and August.
Most anglers choose to fish the Falls pool close to the sea, although there are some great little pools up-river. A map of the river can be found here.
Anything from 300 to 500 salmon are caught in a season. All legitimate methods are permitted, although spinning at the Falls pool is prohibited in low water. The area known as 'The Deep Water' runs upstream from The Half Acre for approximately 1 mile. This section fishes best on a falling flood. Worms, spinner and prawn are most commonly used. It is not suitable for fly fishing.
This website has been created for McIntyres Fishery. McIntyre's Fishery controls fishing rights on the Leitrim (Budoran) side of the river.
The fishing season runs from the 1st February to the 30th September inclusive.
- A permit for the Leitrim (Bundoran) side can be purchased from Tom Devins of McIntyre fisheries. Tom can be found on the river bank or he can be contacted by phone on +353 868135429.
- A permit for the Sligo side can be purchased from Classiebawn fisheries
- A permit costs €15 per day, and €10 per day for Juveniles (under 14)
- A season Permit can be purchased for €150
Note: The island at the middle of the Falls pool can be fished with both permits, although no more than 3 members from each fishery can fish on the island at any one time
By law, all anglers are required to have a valid salmon fishing licence for the North Western River Basin District.
Licences can be purchased from the following locations:
- Barrats Fishing Tackle, Main Street Bundoran,Tel:+353 71 9842266
- Carty`s Land & Sea Sports, Bundoran, Tel: +353 863903655
- Northern Regional Fisheries Board, Station road, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal
- Online at www.salmonlicences.ie